The Brown House
In 1939, 819 W. Franklin St. was purchased by Richmond Professional Institute for $15,000 and was renovated as a women's dormitory. RPI published a student yearbook annually which often showed photographs of the dormitories and student classrooms. It is with these annuals from the 1940s that we are able to step inside of the house and see what seems to be the main parlor room.
With the growing demand for more space at RPI, 819 W. Franklin Street was demolished in the late 1950s to provide room for the college's gymnasium. The building's last appearance as a dormitory is in the 1955 RPI student annual. A section of the old Brown House can still be seen at the site today behind the Franklin Street Gymnasium.