Meet the Neighbors
The areas now known as Oregon Hill and Carver were settled as small, working class neighborhoods during the 1840’s and 1850’s.
Carver was annexed by the City of Richmond in 1867, and continued to grow as a residential area to the east, with industrial development along the south and west. Although the city's redevelopment of "blighted" properties significantly reshaped the neighborhood in in the 1950’s, with strong support from the community many properties originally intended for clearance were able to be restored. In following years, the Carver Area Civic Improvement League was established to advocate for the neighborhood both in development and conservation. Also, in 1996 the Carver–VCU Partnership was formed to facilitate collaboration between the two. Today the neighborhood is situated just north of the VCU Monroe Park campus, extending from Broad Street to Interstate 64 and bounded on the west by Lombardy Street and east by Belvidere Street.
Oregon Hill was annexed by Richmond in 1869. From a suburban neighborhood, the area developed into a densely populated urban residential community characterized by row houses and townhouses. The Oregon Hill Home Improvement Council organized in 1973, and along with the Oregon Hill Community History Association and the Oregon Hill Neighborhood Association has championed rehabilitation and conservation in the area. Today, Oregon Hill extends south of VCU from the Downtown Expressway to the James River, bounded on the west by Cherry Street and the east by Belvidere Street.