Construction of Dennis Hall began in 1962 in response to increased demand for on campus student housing by many potential students around the University. There had been a rising demand for on campus housing by many students outside of the Richmond area throughout the Post War Period. The administration moved to fix this issue, their main problem getting in the way of the expansion of the small college was the capital needed to finance the construction. Overton Dennis, on the board of trustees since 1937, provided the 400,000 dollars to fund Dennis Hall, which directly followed the construction of Freeman Hall. Many of the same designs that were used on Freeman Hall were used again on Dennis as a cost saving measure thus the buildings remain quite similar today. This privately funded project honored Overton’s brother, Eugene. With its completion, the Collegian declared that now over 70% of students were from outside the area, and the campus no longer had to rely on temporary World War II huts for student living (Collegian, 9/27/63). This dormitory in its classic collegiate gothic style remains home to a little over 100 men today and still features many of its original flairs. Carneal and Johnston, its architects, modeled the building very similarly to Freeman Hall, its predecessor, and included many of the same bay windows, staircases and room designs. This helped to create the uniform Richmond Collegiate Gothic style that is seen throughout campus today. Dennis underwent recent renovations in the summer of 2014 and is known as one of the nicer hall style living residence halls on campus. Moving forward the University plans for Dennis to remain as first year all male students housing to complement Marsh and Wood.