Urban Campus

Robins Memorial Hall

Robins Memorial Hall

Robins Memorial Hall was completed on May 16th, 1959 in time for the following school year. This dormitory addressed a pressing need for more housing for students, but also included an infirmary with all “modern” facilities. The building was designed by Carneal and Johnston and cost around $400,000 to construct. The funding for the building was included in the large donation by E. Claiborne Robins, however the building was named in memory of, and dedicated to his mother, Martha Taylor Robins. In early 1958 when the plan for the new dormitory was announced, the university was struggling to house its growing number of students. This building allowed living space for 80 male students and with this addition, UR would be able to house 400 men in three permanent residence halls, and 120 in three temporary wooden buildings. The design of the building is consistent with the collegiate gothic style that makes up most of the buildings on campus.

With the inclusion of a 16 bed infirmary, The University of Richmond provided a service “unexcelled by any institution in this part of the country”. The first floor consisted of a lounge for students, guest rooms, quarters for a dormitory matron and nurse, a ward for ill students, as well as examination rooms. This was quite an accomplishment for the University and the ability to take care of sick students on campus proved to be very useful.

Robins Hall was eventually converted into an all female residence hall and the infirmary was turned into more dorm rooms, allowing for the occupancy to increase to 100 students. In 2002, residents welcomed this change because it allowed for more interaction between male and female students. This conversion was apart of the effort to integrate the Richmond and Westhampton sides of campus.

Minor renovations occurred in 2005 to add air conditioning, however aside from the removal of the infirmary, only slight changes to the floor plan were made. 

Robins Memorial Hall