Urban Campus

Drexel University Buildings


Drexel University Buildings


This is a collection of the structures imagined for or built on the Drexel University Campus in University City.


Jeannine Keefer
For a history of Drexel's expansion up to about 1972 see: Chapter 4 of the dissertation.

Items in the Drexel University Buildings Collection

Called East Hall until 1924 when renamed for Lillie Randell and Letitia Garrison, sisters, donated money to the Institute.

Built for Pennsylvania Railroad industrialist Max Riebenack. Drexel acquired the property in 1928 when the third story was added. In 2003 the structure was renovated to serve as a student center with lounges, cafes, and offices. It was dedicated…

The name of the building was changed in 1973 to the Creese Activities Center. This image shows the building before the recent addition of the Robert Stern designed Chestnut Square which has subsequently hidden the structure from view from the…

Cover of the report commissioned by the Powelton Neighbors from Walter Thabit, a planner who was not a resident of the city. The report was intended to provide alternative solutions to Drexel's expansion plans while conceding the school needed to…

Kelly Hall, the first men's dormitory marked the beginning of friction between the neighborhood and Drexel University in the late 1960s and early 1970s.